All Princeton University affiliates (current and alumni undergraduate and graduate students, faculty, and staff) are encouraged to submit to figments, Princeton’s premier speculative fiction publication. We are always open for general submissions for the website, and we provide submissions deadlines for print issues. The deadline for our Spring 2022 issue is March 13. The theme is Omen.
What We Want:
We publish two print issues a year. We’re looking for imaginative, high-quality storytelling and/or analysis in the science fiction, fantasy, and horror genres… basically, anything not quite of this world.
Magazine Submission Guidelines
- We can only accept submissions from affiliates of Princeton University.
- Your submissions should be speculative in nature. Any of the following are accepted: original fiction, poetry, artwork, comics/graphic narratives, genre-related essays/articles, or other creative content.
- Attach text submissions as a Google Doc or Word Document in Times New Roman 12pt font (single spaced) and image submissions as high-quality jpg/png files.
- We read blind, so do not include identifying information in your submission or document title. Additionally, please include a list of content warnings at the top of your piece for potentially disturbing content (such as graphic descriptions of gore, sexual violence, or familial abuse.) This is to protect our editors and ensure they are matched with pieces that they feel comfortable reading!
- Submitted pieces should be previously unpublished, though works previously included in high school literary magazines or personal blogs are acceptable.
- All art submissions will be printed in black and white, but they may be uploaded in color to the online version of the magazine.
- If you have read these guidelines, send your submission to us: email@example.com with the word “submission” in the subject line
Questions about magazine submissions or joining the figments staff can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com